Eighty Eight Brewing Company is a craft brewery located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They opened their doors in 2018 and have quickly become one of the city’s most popular breweries.
The brewery has a modern and industrial feel, with exposed brick walls and high ceilings. There is plenty of seating both inside and outside, making it a great place to relax and enjoy a few beers with friends.
In this article will provide a comprehensive overview of Eighty Eight Brewing Company, covering its history, beer selection, and more. Let’s get started!
The History of Eighty Eight Brewing Company
The brewery was founded in 2018, by four friends who were passionate about craft beer. They all had a shared love of beer and a desire to create their own unique brews. They named the brewery after the year that Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics, as a nod to the city’s rich history and its vibrant craft beer scene.
The brewery’s first beer was a pale ale called “Eighty Eight”. It was a hit with customers and quickly became one of the brewery’s most popular beers. The brewery has since expanded its beer selection to include a variety of IPAs, stouts, sours, and more. They also offer a variety of non-alcoholic beers and ciders.
In addition to their wide selection of beers, Eighty Eight Brewing Company also has a taproom in Calgary. The taproom is a great place to sample the brewery’s beers and enjoy a meal from their kitchen, it is also a popular spot for live music and events.
Eighty Eight Brewing beer selection
Eighty-Eight Brewing Co.’s gallery selection represents a showcase of their innovation and creativity, offering a glimpse into the brewery’s commitment to pushing boundaries.
Here is a review of some of the beers that we tried at Eighty Eight Brewing Company:
- Wave Pool Wheat Ale: Like a brushstroke across a canvas, Wave Pool Wheat Ale captures the essence of a refreshing day at the beach. This ale boasts a light and crisp body, with subtle notes of citrus and a touch of summer breeze, inviting you to dive into its flavors.
- Ring Pop Raspberry Ale: A burst of color and flavor, Ring Pop Raspberry Ale is reminiscent of a vibrant piece of art. This brew harmoniously blends the sweetness of ripe raspberries with a hint of tartness, creating a delightful symphony on your taste buds.
- Duotang Dry-Hopped Sour: Duotang Dry-Hopped Sour is a creation that reflects the brewery’s flair for experimentation. This sour ale is a bold interplay of fruity and hoppy notes, painting a portrait of complexity that captivates with every sip.
- Good Morning Vietnamese Coffee Stout: Like the rich strokes of a master’s brush, Good Morning Vietnamese Coffee Stout is a masterpiece of flavor. Infused with the allure of Vietnamese coffee, this stout weaves together deep, roasty coffee with a velvety chocolate undertone, offering a harmonious blend that’s both awakening and indulgent.
- Tiffany Tropical Fruit Sour: Tiffany Tropical Fruit Sour is a canvas alive with tropical vibrancy. This sour ale captures the bright and exotic flavors of tropical fruits, creating a mosaic of taste that transports you to sun-drenched shores.
Top Five Beers from Eighty Eight Brewing
Eighty-Eight Brewing Co. is known for making a variety of exceptional beers that people truly appreciate. Looking at the data from Untappd, let’s take a closer look at the top five beers from Eighty-Eight Brewing Co:
- Night Gallery
- Style: Pale Ale – New England / Hazy
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: 44
- Untapped Rating: 3.89
Night Gallery stands as a testament to Eighty-Eight Brewing Co.’s mastery of flavor. This Imperial Stout is a symphony of depth and richness, boasting notes of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and a subtle hint of vanilla. With its velvety texture and robust character, Night Gallery invites enthusiasts to savor a masterpiece of brewing expertise.
- Wave Pool
- Style: IPA – American
- ABV: 6.2%
- IBU: 68
- Untapped Rating: 3.79
Wave Pool Wheat Ale is a harmonious embodiment of a carefree day by the water’s edge. With a light and crisp body, this brew offers delicate notes of citrus and a touch of summer breeze. Wave Pool captures the essence of relaxation and is a refreshing choice for those seeking a laid-back yet flavorful experience.
- Ring Pop
- Style: IPA – New England / Hazy
- ABV: 7.2%
- IBU: 50
- Untapped Rating: 4.01
Ring Pop Raspberry Ale is a burst of color and flavor that’s akin to savoring a juicy raspberry treat. This delightful brew skillfully blends the sweetness of ripe raspberries with a subtle tartness, creating a mosaic of taste that’s both vibrant and refreshing. Ring Pop is a tribute to Eighty-Eight Brewing Co.’s ability to transform simple ingredients into captivating creations.
- Style: Sour – Other
- ABV: 5%
- IBU: 8
- Untapped Rating: 3.75
Duotang Dry-Hopped Sour showcases Eighty-Eight Brewing Co.’s flair for innovation. This sour ale dances between fruity and hoppy notes, creating an exquisite balance of flavors. With its interplay of tropical fruit and hops, Duotang is an adventurous exploration of taste that leaves a lasting impression.
- Good Morning Vietnamese Coffee Stout
- Style: Stout – Coffee
- ABV: 6.5%
- IBU: 40
- Untapped Rating: 3.85
Good Morning Vietnamese Coffee Stout is a sensory journey through the allure of Vietnamese coffee culture. This stout weaves together rich, roasty coffee flavors with velvety chocolate undertones, delivering a harmonious blend that’s both awakening and indulgent. Good Morning invites you to embrace the art of flavor, one sip at a time.
Much like a gallery of flavors, these top-rated brews from Eighty-Eight Brewing Co. stand as a testament to the brewery’s artistry and dedication. Whether you’re drawn to the complexity of an Imperial Stout, the vibrancy of fruit-infused ales, or the intrigue of creatively crafted sours, Eighty-Eight Brewing Co. invites you to explore a spectrum of taste that reflects their commitment to pushing the boundaries of brewing.
Eighty Eight Brewing Company is a great addition to the Calgary craft beer scene. They offer a wide variety of delicious beers, as well as a full kitchen that serves up great food. The brewery has a modern and industrial feel, and the atmosphere is inviting. We would definitely recommend Eighty Eight Brewing Company to anyone looking for a great craft beer experience in Calgary.